Hornby Water Stewardship Project has carried out over 800 water tests to determine the quality of water around the island, in ditches, streams, wells and ocean.
You can test your water by picking up a sample bottle plus instructions from the black Water Stewardship box above the Free Post at the Co-Op.
Instructions for Taking Well Water Samples for Testing for Total and Fecal Coliform
1. Take your sample only if you can get it to North Island Labs, Courtenay, the same day. Timing is important.
2. On the bottle, with a waterproof pen, fill in your name where it says “Company” and property address where it says “Sample ID”; fill in the date and include time.
3. Remove any filter or nozzle from tap.
4. Run water for 2 minutes (catch in pails or basins for other uses) to clear lines of standing water.
5. Unscrew sterile bottle top without touching inside. Take care not to touch tap with bottle lip to avoid contamination. Fill bottle and screw cap firmly.
6. Take your sample to North Island Labs, 2755B Moray Ave, Courtenay, tel: 250 338 7768 for queries.
7. Advise the Lab that you are doing this independently of Water Stewardship. They will ask for you contact e-mail or phone number so results go directly to you.
Note: LARGER BOTTLES FOR MORE COMPLEX CHEMICAL ANALYSES OF YOUR WELL WATER PLEASE CONTACT NORTH ISLAND LABS.